The Available Rooms Reports will show room availability based on meeting patterns the institution has selected to report on. The report runs off a Capacity Analysis, which shows room usage. The report can only show non-overlapping, standard meetings.
The Available Rooms Report only shows available based on sections, it does not take event room usage into account.
Step 1: Capacity Analysis Times
The Capacity Analysis Times setup is to select the meeting patterns for the report. It is a required field in the Capacity Analysis, but it only needs to be run once. Once you have created a Capacity Analysis Times and selected your preferred meeting patterns, you do not have to do this step again. For example, you can use Spring 2019 Capacity Analysis Times for any term’s Capacity Analysis, as meeting patterns are the only relevant data points for the Available Rooms Report, not the dates or term data.
- Click the Analytics tab.
- Select Capacity Analysis Times.
- Select Add.
- Name: Standard Meeting Patterns
- Term: Select the most recent term with actual enrollment. For example, if Spring 2019 is currently underway, select Spring 2019. Do not select a future term.
- Campus: Select the main campus(es).
- Room Type: Select the most commonly used classroom room type (e.g.Classroom, Lecture Hall).
- Save and Run.
- The Capacity Analysis Times you created will show in the list as Scheduled, then Running, then Completed. Once Completed, click on the name of the Capacity Analysis Times to view your results.
The first page of the Capacity Analysis Times is irrelevant for the Available Rooms Report.
- Open the On-Grid Meeting Patterns tab.
They do not have to be in the Is Prime Time column.
- The algorithm for the times will automatically select what the system believes are the on-grid, standard meeting patterns. From this list, select the meeting patterns you would like to see in the report. You can hover over the Meeting Pattern tab, hit the dropdown arrow, and hover over the filter to search for MWF, TR, etc. Simply check/uncheck the box in the OnGrid column to select it.
- Once you have selected the meeting patterns, click Save and Close.
Step 2: Analysis Term Settings
The Analysis Term Settings is used to determine the term settings for the Capacity Analysis. It is a required field in the Capacity Analysis, and you will need to do this for every term you will be running for the Available Rooms Report. You will only need to do this once for each term.
- Click the Academics tab.
- Select Terms.
- Select the term you would like to find available rooms for.
- Open the Analysis Term Settings tab.
- In the Capacity Analysis section, click Calculate Dates.
- The system will be determining the start and end dates for all sections in that term to determine the best date range for the Capacity Analysis.
- When it is completed, click Save and Close.
Step 3: Capacity Analysis
The Capacity Analysis is used to determine which rooms are being used for the term. From this data, the Available Rooms Report can find rooms that are open during the selected meeting patterns. A Capacity Analysis will need to be run for every term you will be running for the Available Room Report. You will need to re-run the Capacity Analysis to have updated data in your report. The data is static and does not update when a room assignment is made unless the Capacity Analysis is run again.
- Click the Analytics tab.
- Select Capacity Analysis.
- Select Add a Capacity Analysis.
The term you are running in the Capacity Analysis does not have to match the term you ran in Capacity Analysis Times.
- Name: *Term Name* Capacity Analysis. For example, if you are running Fall 2019, the name would be Fall 2019 Capacity Analysis.
- Term: Select the term that you set up in Step 2.
- Capacity Analysis Times: Select the Capacity Analysis Times you set up in Step 1.
- All the remaining fields will populate based on the term and Capacity Analysis Times you selected.
- In the Included Activities box in the top right corner, uncheck everything except Sections.
- Click Save. Click Run.
- Do not navigate off the page until you see a pop up that says the Capacity Analysis is complete. There is not a loading bar, but it is running in the background.
Step 4: Run Reports
The Available Rooms Reports are not in the Astra Schedule site by default. These reports need to be uploaded to your list of Reports. There are two reports available:
- Available Rooms Report – Selected Building: This report will allow you to see which rooms are available based on a selected building or buildings.
- Available Rooms Report – Selected Region: This report will allow you to see which rooms are available based on a selected region.
If you do not have access to the Capacity Analysis or Capacity Analysis Times pages, please submit a software support case. Once you have uploaded these reports, run the report as you would any other Crystal Report.