The Capacity Analysis Times utility analyzes existing section data and infers prime time and standard hours per day and week, as well as “on-grid” meeting patterns.
- Prime time = % of most utilized time block in analysis (in # of sections) using that time block is 50% or greater.
- Standard time = range of earliest start time to latest end time, minus Saturday/Sunday. Daily start and end times are rounded up/down to nearest 30 min mark.
- On-grid patterns = the most commonly used, non-overlapping patterns per day that overlap the prime time range.
A heat map is provided to help visualize the patterns in the data analyzed. You may edit the inferred information to override the system as desired.
Multiple Capacity Analysis Times results can be generated as needed to model these time standards using different input parameters. A list of Capacity Analysis Times results is provided to manage these.
To create a new Capacity Analysis Times run:
- User must have permission to view the “KPI Dashboard”.
- Click Capacity Analysis Times on the Admin option list on the Analytics tab to display the list page.
- Click Add.
- Fill out the Capacity Analysis Times modal: enter Name for the Times record, select a Term, and select the relevant Campus and/or Room Type(s) for which you would like to analyze time usage. These parameters filter the section data used for the times analysis.
- Click Save and Run.
- The system will return to the list page and queue up the analysis job to run as a background task. The status will change to “Completed” when finished.
- Click the name of your Capacity Analysis Times record to view the results.
- A heat map is provided for at-a-glance feedback on the density of time usage within the sections analyzed. Yellow indicates the least used times; Red indicates the most used times.
Each cell includes indicator numbers for:
1. Total count of sections found at that time.
2. Total enrollment of sections.
3. Heat calculation (number of sections/max number of sections in any one block).
- Inferred prime times and standard times per day, and total hours per week are listed in a grid on the right. You may use the Add and delete options in this grid to edit the days and times included. Additionally, you may edit the total week hours if desired.
- Click the On-Grid Meeting Patterns tab at the top of the results page to view a list of all meeting patterns utilized in the analyzed data. For each pattern, the system will display the number of sections that used the pattern, whether the pattern overlaps the prime time range, and whether the pattern is considered on grid. Meeting patterns determined to be “on grid” are flagged and sequenced in chronological order for reporting purposes. Finally, the on grid patterns included in the definition are added to a Meeting Pattern Group that the system will use for Capacity Analysis.
“On Grid” patters are meeting patters used by sections in the analyzed data that:
- most commonly used, per day, by section count.
- non-overlapping per day.
- Overlap the inferred prime time range.
The “on grid” flag is editable, so you may add or remove patterns in the on grid group if desired, as long as they are non-overlapping.
Old or obsolete Capacity Analysis Times records may be deleted from the list page if a) it is not in the process of running, AND b) it was not used as the basis for a Capacity Analysis run (this must be deleted first).