The Platinum Analytics snapshot feature provides a mechanism by which the system can grab a copy of a batch of imported sections to create a point-in-time perspective. Snapshot data can be used to report on and monitor changes over time across versions of the same term, or progress from one term to another. Examples include tracking registration velocity, or tracking “pre-orientation” snapshots from one term to the last like term. Additionally, snapshots can be linked to Platinum Analysis runs to report on changes against recommendations made in Analytics.
Currently, snapshot data is configured by the Ad Astra team, in conjunction with timelines provided by each client. The data is utilized primarily by Ad Astra consultants to help track changes and report on longitudinal progress for customers. The following scenarios can be served up through a combination of reports and dashboards:
- Calculate standard metrics (e.g. avg. enrollment, avg. seats offered, enrollment ratio, balanced course %, overloaded course %) for “like terms” used in an analysis run.
- Track schedule change activity from snapshot to snapshot (e.g. number & details of sections added or removed, sections with seats added or removed, sections moved into or out of bottleneck rooms).
- Track schedule change activity against established reduction, elimination, and addition candidate targets or policy goals (e.g. elimination candidates cannot be more than 2% of any department's schedule).
- Monitor enrollment activity against available seats and generate warnings when a course is reaching capacity early in the registration cycle so that additional sections can be added.
- Calculate overall enrollment velocity through the registration cycle.
- Track schedule change activity against a starting analysis run and its recommendations at a course-by-course level (e.g. calculate “advised adds”, “unadvised adds”, “advised cuts”, “unadvised cuts” by course and then roll up to department, college, division, etc)
The snapshot data captured by the system has less depth than the data captured for production section data. Snapshot section records are linked to production sections, but only include subject, course, campus, department info, meeting type, days met, start & end times, room and building, instructor, enrollment, max enrollment, and exam and cross-list info.