Many campuses have spaces that can be divided into smaller, or different, spaces. Obvious conflicts can occur when activities are scheduled in one of these spaces. To define these relationships and conflicts, room records in Astra Schedule can be configured as having partitions. When adding partitions to a room, the system records the partition and notes the conflict for both the room and its partition room. The system, therefore, knows which room is the “parent” and that an activity scheduled into either room creates a conflict for the other.
To elaborate on that, If an event is booked in a parent room, it will block that space for all child rooms. However, if a child room is booked, it will block the parent room but not the other child rooms. This is because essentially, the room is divided into smaller sections that are independent of one another (but not of the parent room).
Room partitions are actual room records in Astra Schedule. The act of configuring partitions for a room simply establishes the link between the rooms in the partition relationship. Maintaining these records as distinct rooms allows for a great deal of flexibility in recording attributes for the scheduling of the independent partitions.
When configuring partitions for a room, a user may select the partitioned room from existing rooms in Astra Schedule or choose to create a new ad hoc room record to represent the partition.
To configure a room partition, perform the following for each room in the relationship that has partitions:
- Click on the Settings tab.
- Select Rooms.
- Find the room record you would like to edit and click on its room link.
- Under the Partitions section, click "Select Partitions from Existing Rooms" OR "Create New Room as Partition"
If selecting partitions from existing rooms:
- A list of rooms within the same building as the parent room is displayed.
- Place a check in the box next to the room(s) that are direct partitions of the parent room.
- Click Ok and the selected room will be displayed as a partition.
If creating a new room as a partition:
- A simple room form is displayed. The system assumes the campus and building but allows the configuration of the minimum required fields for a new room. You may optionally copy over attributes from the parent room record.
- Click Ok to generate the room and add it to the list of partitions. The new room will now be visible on the room list page as well.
- Click Partition Properties while in a room record to see if the room being viewed has a "parent" room, and with which other rooms it will be in conflict for scheduling.
- Click Save to save the partition configuration for the room.
- Repeat the process for all rooms in the relationship that have "child" partitions.
Please sign in to leave a comment.