Astra Schedule allows users to request events on campus. As opposed to the event scheduling process that creates an event record, the event request process only captures event request information and routes the request to an approver. The event request must still be approved before becoming a scheduled event record in the system.
To help capture the necessary event request information, you can customize event request forms and make them available to users (including the Guest users) based on their security role. The information captured on the form is then routed to the appropriate people and either approved or declined.
To create an Event Request form:
- Click Event Request Forms on the Events tab.
- On the list page, click the Add a Form
- Enter the name of the form you are creating.
- If desired, enter a description of the form being created.
- If applicable, enter the number of days before the actual event that the request must be submitted.
- Enter the maximum number of days into the future the event may be requested.
- Optionally, configure the date range during which requested meetings may occur. (See Event Request Date Restrictions for more info)
- Click the + button and use the selection window to choose the approver group(s) that should receive requests submitted using this form.
- Enter any introductory text, images, and/or links you would like requestors to see when they access the form. This information is displayed at the top of the request form.
- Enter any closing comments you would like requestors to see after submitting their request.
- Confirm Custom Filter Settings. (See details below)
- Configure, if desired. (See details below)
- Click Edit Form in the top right corner to create the layout of your event request form. (See details below)
- Save your form.
Event Request Form Filters
When certain selections and fields are made available on an event request form (e.g. rooms, resources, event types, etc), by default the requestor is able to select from all values in the system. However, the scope of choices available for them can be defined as well.
Custom Filter Settings
The Custom Filter Settings section of the event request template definition controls whether or not a user may edit their own filters, and if so, to what extent. The upper selections for Location and Resource filters apply when a user is searching for rooms and resources to request. The lower settings for event type, event meeting type, and customer apply only if those fields are made available on the request form during the template layout process.
To provide access to the filter settings for a user when searching for rooms or resources, place a check in the box next to "Allow Custom Room (or Resource) Filtering". This setting is the on/off switch for the filter options in the room/resource selection window as a whole.
If filter access is provided above, add or remove checkmarks in each of the filter categories to specify which filter types are available to the user. These choices determine which drop-down filter options are available to the user when editing the filter.
Finally, you may limit the scope of filter choices presented to the user to only those choices granted by the pre-assigned filters defined above. For example, you may wish to pre-assign a filter that limits event requests to only a few room types in key buildings on campus. If you would like to allow users to edit the filter but be confined to those room types and buildings, then place a check in the box next to Limit Choices to Saved Filters.
You can define the list of event types and/or event meeting types that are available for users to select if those fields are placed on the request form. Click the + button and choose which options should be made available.
You can define the behavior of the customer filter if the field is used on the form. If the "Use Customer Filter" is not selected, the list will be defined by the customer affiliation with the user as determined upon login. Select "Use Customer Filter" if you would like the user to be able to select from a list of customers defined on the form. In this case, then click the + button to define the list of customers if applicable.
As a convenience for the requestor, the event request form can include pre-defined room or resource searches as saved filters. Including saved filters can help steer the user to common or appropriate selections, or even limit them to certain searches if custom searching is not allowed. If custom searching is not allowed on the form, then at least one pre-defined search must be included. Once configured, saved filters will appear in the Assign Rooms, or Assign Resources, the selection wizard.
Set Up Room Filter Settings
- Create a default saved room and/or resource filter if desired. (See details below)
- Select your preferred Room (and Resource) Filter Settings options.
- Show all rooms/resources: displays an unfiltered list of rooms or resources within the Scheduler and the filter panel is not accessible. This view will show all available rooms and will not look any filters set.
- Show only saved filters: displays the default saved filter list of rooms or resources and the filter panel displays all saved filters
- Show only default filtered rooms or resources: displays the default saved filter list of rooms or resources and the filter panel is not accessible
- Show selected room/resource filters: displays the default saved filter list of rooms or resources and the filter panel will display all saved filters
Set Up Saved Filter
- Click Add Room Filter (or Add Resource Filter) in the Saved Filters section of the form.
- Assign a name to the filter. If this should be the default filter used during a search, place a check in the box next to "Default".
- In the Filter panel, choose whether or not you would like shared rooms or alternate room configurations to appear on the search results.
- Enter room capacity search parameters if applicable.
- Click the + button for any search parameter you would like to add and select options using the check boxes.
- Click OK to save your filter. You may edit or remove existing filters once saved.
- Repeat the process to create an additional room or resource filters.
Event Request Form Custom Layout
The Event Request Form layout can be used to design the layout of the resulting event request form. Using this utility you will be able to create sections on the form and define the fields that will appear within each section. To access the template layout utility, click the top of the form.
The layout utility includes Question Bank and Available Fields panels on the left and the request form layout on the right. The Question Bank panel includes permanent Astra Schedule application fields that are available for use in event request forms. Information gathered using Astra Schedule application fields is mapped directly to the database if the event request is approved. Each Question Bank field will display which application field it is mapped to in the upper right-hand corner once pulled into the form.
The Available Fields panel includes an editable list of fields that are available for the Event Request Form. The editable fields in the Available Fields panel can be thought of as a toolbox of fields that are available for placement on any event request form. Event Request Form editable fields can be added on-the-fly from within an event request template by clicking the plus button on the panel. Each field may have the option to be required, removed, or moved via drag-and-drop.
When creating a new request form, default questions are created that include the fields that are required for all forms, including the event name and basic contact information. These fields cannot be removed from the form but may be repositioned as desired. The title of the event request form may not be removed or moved within the form.
If a hyperlink is entered in to the Custom Content Widget, users can configure the link to open in a new tab. Click on the Source Edit button and set the "target" of the link to "blank". For example, after clicking the Source Edit button change <a href="http://www.google.com">Click Here</a> to be <a href="http://www.google.com" target="blank">Click Here</a>.
Add a Meeting
The Add a Meeting field can be added to any event request form. This field allows users to select a date(s), time(s), Meeting Name, Rooms, Resources, and other fields within the event request form. All information completed within the Add a Meeting field will map to the database once the event is approved. The Add a Meeting field has additional settings to determine which fields within the meeting generator should appear and/or be required. By default, no options are selected.
Preview The Template
- Save your work.
- Select the Request Event quick link from the Events tab.
- Select the saved template from the Event Request Wizard drop-down list.
- Click Next
- Review the form.
- Navigate away from the page without submitting the request. (you may optionally complete and submit the request to test approvals and notifications)