The ad hoc scheduling tool can be used for the general assignment of rooms and conflict resolution.
When the scheduling tool is launched, a matrix is displayed with a list of rooms that are suitable for the section meeting based on its scheduling constraints. The constraints applied to the room are displayed as filters on the scheduler so that changes can be made on the fly to include additional rooms on the list. The list of rooms returned is sorted by score, then by building, room, capacity, and room type.
- Click on the Academics tab.
- Select Sections.
- Open the section to be scheduled.
- Click the Assign Room icon for the section meeting and the Ad Hoc Scheduler will appear.
- The room filter panel in the Ad Hoc Scheduler will display any scheduling constraints (preferences) that are impacting the list of feasible rooms.
Removing one or more of the room filter options and clicking Search will change the room results.
- Click an "Available" cell to select a room.
- Click OK to save the room selection to the section meeting.
- Click OK on the section form to save the change.
Rooms that are suitable but have conflicts will indicate “Conflicts” instead of “Available”. Additionally, the number of meetings that are in conflict is indicated in parenthesis. For example, the display may show (47 of 48), indicating that 47 meeting instances for the meeting have conflicts.
You may hover on the conflict cell to see information about the conflicting activities.
Click on the Conflicts cell to further investigate the conflicting meetings. A list of all meetings, both available and in conflict, will appear.
Drop Room Assignment
If the existing room assignment needs to be simply removed from a section meeting, click the Drop Room button next to the room field while in edit mode on either the Section or Section Meeting pages. Click Save to save the section meeting with no room assigned.
Show Additional Meeting Patterns
- In the Filter panel on the Ad Hoc Scheduler window, place a check in the box next to "Show Additional Mtg. Patterns", add a Meeting Pattern Group and click Search.
- The scheduler will update the grid to show alternate meeting patterns for the bottleneck room. Click on an "Available" cell to change the meeting's time and select the room in a single step.
- To select an alternate time AND room, combine this procedure by removing one or more room filters. The grid will show alternate patterns for all rooms that match the filter criteria.
For course sections with multiple meeting patterns that are for the same date/time, best practice is to assign and save one meeting pattern at a time to avoid assigning the same room twice. However, if this does occur, will this conflict be caught when the user clicks on the Save button to update the room assignments for the section or is it possible to cause a double-booked room by not saving after assigning each meeting pattern within the section?
Please sign in to leave a comment.