Calendars must be defined and saved in order to provide calendar choices for user role association and when browsing the calendar user interface. These calendar definitions include the name of the calendar as it will appear during use, assigned filter choices specific to that calendar, custom filtering availability, and the default view when the calendar is accessed. You can learn more about the API in the Calendar API article.
Many different versions of the Calendar can be created and saved in order to provide the appropriate levels of access for users and guests, as well as to create convenient, filtered choices when navigating the calendar. The Manage Calendars option on either the Calendars or Settings tab provides access to a list of all configured calendar tools, including Calendars, Scheduling Grids, and the Search tool.
Add a New Calendar
- Click the Calendars or Settings tab.
- Select Manage Calendars.
- Click Add Calendar Definition
- Select Calendar.
- Enter a Name for the calendar. This is the name that will be visible when assigning calendar access to users as well as when choosing a calendar to view in the calendar interface. The name should be descriptive and help users understand the calendar content.
- Enter a description.
It is best practice to create a default filter for all calendars to help users navigate activities when viewing the calendar. Additional filters may be created, if desired.
- Click Add Filter.
- Enter a name for the filter being created. If desired, check the box to make the filter the default activity view when the calendar is used.
- In the Filter panel, enter Keyword search criteria and/or a search start date, if applicable.
- Use the scroll bar to access the desired filter options. Filters may be created that include or exclude events and academic sections, and limit results based on various attributes.
- Click OK.
Custom Filter Settings
The Custom Filter Settings section of the calendar definition controls whether or not a user may edit the calendar filter, and if so, to what extent.
- Allow Custom Filtering: provides access to the filter settings for a user when viewing the calendar. This setting is the on/off switch for the filter option in the calendar as a whole.
- Limit Choice to Saved Filter: limits a users search options in the filter panel to what is selected in the calendar definition form when a user edits their filter. Search options are based on what is selected in the each of the filter sections (location, event, academic, resource, and usage). Example: you may wish to assign a filter that limits event activities to only a few event types taking place in key buildings on campus. If you would like to allow users to edit the filter but be confined to those event types and buildings, then place a check in the box next to Limit Choices to Saved Filters.
- If Allow Custom Filtering is selected, add or remove check marks in each of the filter categories (Location, Event, Academic, Resource and Usage) to specify which filter types are available to the user. These choices determine which drop-down filter options are available to the user when editing the filter.
Select the default view displayed for the calendar.
- Click Save.