A user’s access to Astra Schedule is controlled through the application of specific permissions and data profiles by way of a role. Permissions determine what tasks may be performed by a user. Data profiles determine the items on which tasks may be performed. Roles determine both the permissions available and the data to which they can be applied. One or more roles may be applied to a user to create the appropriate level of access to the application.
Roles are groups of application permissions that may be applied to users. Default roles are provided in the application that may be used to quickly apply permissions to users. However, you may define additional roles and/or add individual permissions within roles as needed. One roles must be selected when creating users in the application.
Permissions available through the Role include all tasks that may be performed within the system. This includes scheduling resources, editing and viewing data, and performing administrative duties and overrides. Additionally, certain permissions, once selected, may be further defined by specifying the data to which the permission applies. By default a permission applies to all data of its type in the system unless limited through the application of a profile.
The role record includes a name and description, shown in the Role Info section at the top of the window. Additionally, the names of the users to whom the role is associated are listed. Following the basic role information are sections representing the major areas and data types in the application. Scheduling permissions, editing permissions, and administrative permissions are represented in each section as applicable.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Click Roles.
- To view additional details about a specific role, click directly on the role name from the list.
To add a new role to the list:
- Click Add a Role from the main role list window. A new role form will appear.
- Enter a name and description for your role.
- The permissions available within a role are organized into groups based on area of the application, and then by permission type within the area.Click the + button to expand applicable permission types, and then place a check in the box next to the edit, schedule, and administrative permissions you wish to grant the role. Note that certain permissions are dependent on others and will remain disabled until the appropriate selection is made. For example, you cannot edit something until you can view it.
By default, selected permissions are applied to all applicable data in the application. Certain permissions, especially editing and scheduling permissions, can be limited to specific data. For example, if you are creating a role for a departmental academic scheduler, you may wish to associate specific subject and room data to the editing and scheduling permissions granted in the role.
To limit a selected permission:
- When a permission is selected that can be limited, an edit pencil icon will appear. Click this icon to display the data selection options.
- Use the applicable group options and navigate the data tree to find and select the data items that should be associated with the permission in question.
- Click Ok to add the selected items to the permission within the role. Notice that the data to which the permission applies is indicated to the right of the permission.
- Continue adding profiles to other permissions as needed.
- Choose Save to save your role and return to the main window. This role with its associated permissions and profiles may now be assigned to a user.